GIS (Geographic Information System)
GIS is responsible for mapping the City of Palm Coast utilizing advanced, geographical data software. The software visually represents complex information in the form of shapes and symbols. Embedded in these shapes and symbols is information that can be viewed as maps, as well as extracted in the form of a word document or graphical chart. From the map itself you can view a district, a zone, a parcel, and an individual plat. All of which can be printed in the form of a drawing along with documentation of legal descriptions, restrictions, ownership etc.
GIS is responsible for the tracking and development of ...
- Land use maps
- Water mains, lines and shutoff valves
- Location of fire hydrants
- Residential, commercial and public locations and addresses
- Water resources and wells, including usage.
- Drainage systems including culverts swales and retention ponds.
- The shortest route from one location to another.
- Firefighters can predict critical areas the direction and spread during a dry season and the threat of a fire.
- Roads & bridges and their conditions
- Parcels and ownership
- District's, zoning and tax id's
- School names, locations and population
- Traffic lights and patterns by day, time, and month
- Emergency management and evacuation plans and routes
- Sections, Lots ownership and restrictions.
- Crime pattern studies by location.
- A police dispatcher can find the fastest route to an emergency