This page was printed from : https://www.palmcoastgov.com/government/engineering/street-light-request-acknowledge
Street Light Criteria
You must acknowledge that you understand this criteria before submitting a street light request.
General 75 Watt Street Lighting:
The purpose of general street lighting is to:
- Mark street intersections and entrances to public facilities (used after dark) to assist motorists find and anticipate them after dark.
- Provide moderate ground illumination under said street lights.
General street lighting is not to be installed to:
- Provide general street illumination for vehicular traffic.
- Provide street illumination for pedestrian traffic.
- Provide security lighting for property owners.
- Act as a warning to motorists at curves, the end of cul-de-sacs, dead end, etc. (Street lights are not effective for this purpose and are not to be used as a substitute for eye-level, reflective signs.)
Special Street Lighting-including higher wattage units
Special lighting shall be considered for vehicular and pedestrian safety as follows:
- To illuminate complex, high–traffic intersections that may exist where driver confusion can result because of complicated traffic patterns.
- To illuminate street side areas, such as bus stops and school bus stops, where there is a regular congregation of people after dark.
- To illuminate crosswalks on streets were, at night, there is frequent pedestrian or bicycle traffic.
- To illuminate the intersection of two or more streets.
Application of criteria
The following guidelines shall apply in approving requests for recommending general and special street lighting:
- Regular or special street lighting may be installed at any intersection where conditions conform to these criteria.
- Priority shall be given to those intersections which in the judgment of the staff making the review, service the higher traffic volumes or present the higher safety need.
- Consideration shall be given to the availability of, or cost to provide, poles and electrical service at the requested location.
- Consideration shall be given to the availability of budgeted funds to pay for the requested Installation.
NOTE: Requests which do not conform to the criteria will be denied. If you request a light in a location that does not conform with the criteria, Florida Power & Light (FPL) can provide a private security light operated at your expense. For more information, contact FPL AT (800) 226-3545.I acknowledge my understanding of this criteria
Stormwater & Engineering
Phone : (386) 986-3794
Office : City Hall
160 Lake Avenue
Palm Coast, FL 32164
Palm Coast, FL 32164