Palm Coast - A Palm Coast family was displaced from their home early Thursday morning due to a chimney fire, but thankfully no one was injured, and the Palm Coast Fire Department was able to save large areas of the home.

Palm Coast firefighters responded to a chimney fire at 68 Wellstream Lane about 1:30 a.m. Thursday and found fire in the attic and blowing out the roof by the chimney. The five-member Amiri family (a couple and three children) was already safely outside with their cat.

Although fire crews were able to save large areas of the home and the majority of the family's property, there was significant damage. The residents were advised the home is not habitable. They were able to stay with neighbors initially and are now being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The crews that responded included Palm Coast Fire Engines 21, 22 and 23; Palm Coast Tower 24; Palm Coast Battalion Captain 20; Battalion Chief 21; and Flagler County Fire Rescue 21 and 22.

The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these fireplace safety reminders:

  • Be certain the damper or flue is open before starting a fire. Keeping the damper or flue open until the fire is out will draw smoke out of the house. The damper can be checked by looking up into the chimney with a flashlight or mirror. Do not close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning.

  • Use dry and well-aged wood. Wet or green wood causes more smoke and contributes to soot buildup in the chimney. Dried wood burns with less smoke and burns more evenly.

  • Smaller pieces of wood placed on a grate burn faster and produce less smoke.

  • Clean out ashes from previous fires. Levels of ash at the base of the fireplace should be kept to 1 inch or less because a thicker layer restricts the air supply to logs, resulting in more smoke.

  • The chimney should be checked annually by a professional. Even if the chimney is not due for cleaning, it is important to check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.

  • Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of anything that is potentially flammable (ie: furniture, drapes, newspapers, books, etc.). If these items get too close to the fireplace, they could catch fire.

  • Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Make sure it is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house. If you leave the room while the fire is burning or the fireplace is still hot, take your small child with you.

  • Minimize your child's chance of burns from the hot glass front of some fireplaces. Safety screens can be installed to reduce the risk of burns.

  • Put fireplace tools and accessories out of a young child's reach. Also, remove any lighters and matches.

  • Install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.

  • Keep a fire extinguisher on hand.

  • Communicate to children as early as possible the dangers of fires and the heat generated from them.

For more information, please contact Cindi Lane, Communications & Marketing Manager, at clane@palmcoastgov.com and 386-986-3708.