The Green Team
The Green Team manages unique environmentally-based programs and targets opportunities to expand natural resource awareness and stewardship throughout the community.
Programs provided to the community by the Green Team include the following:
- Children Helping In Resource Protection (CHIRP)
- Arbor Day Celebration
- Annual Intracoastal Waterway Cleanup
- City Beautification Awards Program
- Large-scale Wildfire Mitigation (Greater than 5 acres)
- Adopt-a- Road / Trail / Park / Shoreline / Median
Gold Level Green Local Government
In 2009, the City of Palm Coast received a Silver Level Certification through the Florida Green Building Coalition, a non-profit that certifies Florida cities and counties for achievements in outstanding stewardship. During the past six years, the Palm Coast City Council has championed the creation of a sustainable framework to encourage their community to care for land, water, air and wildlife through specific Strategic Action Plan directives. In 2010, the City climbed to Gold placing Palm Coast at the forefront of Florida’s sustainable communities. The Green Team is excited to once again share that the City has been recertified as a Gold Level Green Local Government on August 28, 2015. At time of recertification, City Officials were notified that Palm Coast had the third highest score of participating local governments in the state! The majority of the activities securing this designation are tracked in the Environmental Management System document.
Environmental Management System – Plan, Do, Check, Act
The Environmental Management System (EMS) is a management tool uniquely tailored to the City of Palm Coast. The goal of this document is to comprehensively measure, monitor and correct activities serving the City “Green” or sustainable initiatives. In concert with the City’s sustainability objective, the document has been integrated with user-friendly applications to make the document entertaining while avoiding the need to print. The EMS focuses on five (5) fundamental categories to target unique disciplines of a City-wide approach.
- Water Conservation: Reduce Consumption
- Waste Reduction – Increase Recycling: Natural Resource Conservation
- Greenhouse Gas: Minimize Carbon Footprint
- Energy Conservation and Alternative Sources: Embracing Innovation
- Outreach and Incentives: Educate and Inspire