This page was printed from : http://www.palmcoastgov.com/council/mayors-message/2014/10
Message From The Mayor
October 2014Author and motivational speaker Harold McAlindon once said, "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Most certainly, our City of Palm Coast employees venture in directions not often taken by others. As resourceful leaders, their inventive ideas continue to be acknowledged by state and national organizations. I am honored to give credit to our departments and employees who've recently been recognized for the work they do for the citizens of Palm Coast.
Finance Department: Finance Director Chris Quinn and his team received their thirteenth Government Finance Officers Association Distinguished Budget Presentation Award, reflecting the highest principles of government budget reporting and presentation.
Utility Department: Top Op's Team Jim Hogan, Fred Greiner, Tom Martens and Peter Roussell were honored with their fifth National Championship from the American Water Works Assoc. for successfully competing in a competition with other teams about water operations. Environment Specialist Brian Matthews was named Educator of the
Decade from the Southeast Desalting Assoc. for his exceptional training of treatment facility operators regarding membrane technologies.
IT Dept/Communications & Mktg. Division. Staff was awarded two Communicator Awards of Distinction for the re-design of our user-friendly website and an innovative video reporting our response to the Dec. 14, 2013, Starlight Tornado.
City of Palm Coast:
- Recognized by the International City/County Management Association (ICMA), the Florida City/County Management Association (FCCMA) and Alliance for Innovation, for its integrated teamwork between employees, City Council and the community. Partners created and implemented a Strategic Action Plan that guides and tracks the City's vision for improving quality of life, grow the local economy and protect the natural environment and infrastructure over the next five years. City Administration Coordinator Denise Bevan, Deputy Fire Chief Jerry Forte , Planner Constance Bentley and Financial Analyst Lina Williams led a proud team of ten employees with this endeavor. Staff was invited to make several presentations to share our successes with other national cities.
- Accepted the ICMA Award of Distinction for our performance measurement reporting system.
- Earned the Forbes Magazine designation as the nation's No. 7 City for the Best Small Places for Business and Careers.
- Received a Voice of the People Award from the ICMA for the increase in favorable responses in Palm Coast's National Citizen Survey for improvements in our local economy.
- Named Beyond.com's 10th easiest place in the nation to make a hire.
- Chosen as the Wall Street Journal's seventh-ranked Best Small Places for Business and Careers and Where To Retire Magazine's top eight low-cost cities in the US for retirement.
- Ranked by IHS Global Insight Economists as one of 21 U.S. metro areas to grow at a rate above 4% through 2020.